Re: Re: longipes Urajiro Hatchijo

Ben:

>I give you the main conlusion as I reached them after carefull
>examination I dont intend to give here a full report.

In any scientific study when you come to some conclusion you explain
how you came to that conclusion.  To be a bit truthful, I'm not even
certain what it is that you are concluding.  Are you saying that
Longipes Urajiro Hatchijo (H. longipes var. latifolia 'Urajiro
Hachijo') is a hybrid between longipes and rupifraga?  I'm not
familiar with either species or Urajiro Hachijo, so I'm not going to
argure that issue.  However, I find it amazing that you can measure
the DNA content of two species and a supposed hybrid between them and
conclude that the presumed hybrid is a hybrid between those two
species just because the presumed hybrid has a DNA content half way
between the two species.  Ben, there are probably 50 different species
out there that have DNA content the same as longipes and rupifraga.
Therefor, any of those other species could also be the parents of
Urajiro Hachijo according to your research technique.

Ben, if you want to "prove" that a certain hosta is a hybrid between
two particular species you do a whole bunch of different studies. You
can do some multivariate statistical analysis along the lines of Edger
Anderson's famous analysis of Louisiana Iris.  You can do comparative
anatomy.  You can do gel electrophoreses and most importantly you can
do analysis of the chromosomes; pairing at meiosis, chromosome banding
and karyotype analysis.  You did nothing but measure the DNA content,
found the presumed hybrid was between the two alleged parents and
concluded that they are the parents.  BAD science!

You are most likely measuring DNA with a flow cytometer (hope that is
correct terminology for the instrument you are using, if not correct
me) and I seriously doubt that your accuracy is good enough that you
can measure the DNA content accurate enough to be certain the hybrid
is really between the two alleged parents.  What you are using is good
for seperating diploids, triploids and tetraploids from one another,
but not much more then that.

>Take it or leave it.

That may be the way gangsters, politicans and dictators act, but that
is NOT the way scientist act.  If you are going to make some broad
conclusion, you need to present the data to back up your views.

We are still waiting for your proof for your cotyledon viewpoint!

Joe Halinar