Re: Southern blight in the north AGAIN

Mike Groothuis wrote:

> I just lost a 4 year old 'Blue Boy' today. I am going to try to salvage
> this one. It was one of my favorites. Over 20 bloom scapes were going to
> open any day. It wasn't even near the original infection site. It sure
> is starting to scare me. 6 to 7 more gallons of bleach solution applied.

Sorry to hear about this Mike. I have noticed (here in the North
Carolina Mountains) that the symptoms appear most dramatically during a
prolong dry spell. Almost as if the fungus is resorting to "eating" the
hosta petioles in the absence of other moist substances. I believe I was
successful in controling it on the two plants that were infected last
year, by two applications of 50% bleach (clorox). I used about one
gallon for each application. Good luck.  John Lanier, Burnsville, NC