Afterthoughts on a tour garden......part 1

hi all......

as you know...then AHS tour was followed by the city tour.....no official
count but the estimates are that 1000 people came through the garden....the
AHS people ought to be extremely happy to know that the last ones climbed
onto the bus, just before the unbearable heat began....the real downside of
the heat, is that i have very limited recollections of specific details....i
am glad to report that i did pay to have a video tape made....and plan on
watching it, and to report back many tales which escape me at this time.......

first....and foremost.....i again have to thank my wife and child for
tolerating the entire process.....without them i could not have made it
through.....and i was thrilled to share it all with them.....

i have a special request to mr crockett, that he not publish any pictures of
my child....and i do not refer to hosta as children...i would love to see the
pix he did snap off of the plants....but please honor my request regarding
katie rose...thank you.....i would also like to inform you all that i retired
from the robin committee....because i got a new job...so i respectfully
request that i be entitled to return to the pixlist group.......

anyway....since the subject has come up...i want to share a story about a
bunny.....a SEA BUNNY that is.....

i was standing there minding my own business, entertaining about 150 people
when MILDRED SEAVER slipped up.....now i am going to try hard here to tell it
the way it happened without too much embellishment....i will be able to
verify it after i watch the tape....but here we go.....

i was standing there....when all of a sudden a voice says....what a beautiful
garden....i spin and it is her...the GRANDE DAME....after a few cordial
comments about the garden...she says....you have a problem with labeling....i
say...my god mildred, i am sorry...i worked so hard to make it as perfect as
i could...she says....oh no...dont worry about that ....i just wanted to tell
you that that plant you have labeled as SEA BUNNY is not sea bunny......and
she goes on....but i have to be honest and tell you its [and here is where my
memory fails,....and the story gets better every time i tell
it...lol...]....tell you that it is 100 times better than sea bunny.....and
she burst into that laugh that only she can do so well.....lol.....it is
still ringing in my ears.....lol

so she says where did you get it...i say wait here, and i run off to the
label, as the supplier is written on the back....i run back and say well it
came from XXXXXXX......she laughs again and says....well that person is a
wonderful sweet person....but we will never know what that plant is....but it
is 100 times better than sea bunny,,,,,and she laughs her laugh again....

she then goes into a full description of sea bunny....which of course makes
me want it....just so i will have a recollection or keepsake of my meeting
with MILDRED in my yard......

i then offer her a piece of this plant which she thinks is so
wonderful....and she says....'you cant dig it up now....you are on tour'...i
say no, i will dig it next week and send it to you....then she says she
appreciates the offer but 'in all honesty i dont know what to do with all the
plants i have now'.....i think to myself...well just send them to
me....lol!!!!!!!.....

so she then asks if i have starboard light...i say .... well, mildred
...there are some of your plants that i still can not afford.......and she
insists that i must get that plant and grow them side by side....i get a bit
confused and charley later says that they are not suggesting that it is
starboard light....but that it has the same lutescent qualities........if i
have the right term.....

there you have it....the picture that can be seen on joannes list is not sea
bunny....i am sorry joanne....but since it is immature by one or 2
years...even the database people arent going to help us identify it right
now.......so if you want it you have to buy it from me....trade with
me.....or i have to give it to you as a gift.....or just wait until i can get
a good name for you.....lol

what more can i say.......

i have a peter ruh story to follow and many more adventures to report.....but
they will come slowly.....

i guess i cant sign off "see you in the garden" any more....so now it will
have to be..."see you in cyberspace"...i cant wait to see all those pix you
all took....amy said i is stunning to think of all the film that is being
developed around the world that have pix of my hosta on them......it gave me
chills when she said it.....i hope that you will share them all with me...and
donate them to the hosta library, if they will take them.....

see you in cyberspace.....what a depressing signoff....are you sure you dont
want to come back in a month...there will be a few more weeds...BUT THE HOSTA
WILL BE BIGGER....lol

ken