Re: Convention

In a message dated 6/28/1999 2:53:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

<< indianabob wrote:
 > >absentee voting just doesnt work,  tell me what  organization uses that
 > approach?
 That's a pretty broad statement and frankly seems pretty elitist to me.  Why
 doesn't it work?  What does going to the convention have to do with wanting
 have some imput into how the AHS operates?   >>

I am in favour of "absentee" voting, as long as we know what we are voting on.
BUT I am sure that the motion caught a lot of members by surprise.So, if the
AHS is going to present faites accomplis  at the Business Meeting, I'd go for

In other words, if a member is not going to attend, let him/her give her/his
proxy to a member who is going to attend.

What I really prefer is that the AHS inform all members of what is going to
be voted on, and require the AHS to accept absentee ballots. I simply cannot
understand why a member must be present at the Business Meeting.(See Newly
Revised Robert's Rules of Order.)

Clyde Crockett
P,S. Perhaps I am cynical, but I think the Board thought they would get this
passed without any opposition. The members of the AHS are not stupid---114(?)
persons present knew what the motion was all about---to give absolute control
to 9 people.
I was heartened by the vote on my amendment.