Re: Convention

Chick wrote:
> indianabob wrote:
> >
> > >absentee voting just doesnt work,  tell me what  organization uses that
> > approach?
> >
> That's a pretty broad statement and frankly seems pretty elitist to me.  Why
> doesn't it work?  What does going to the convention have to do with wanting to
> have some imput into how the AHS operates?  The fact that I am not a man of
> leisure doesn't mean that I don't have an opinion.  In fact, some of you may
> have noticed that I have lots of opinions.  Do I have to go to the convention
> to prove that I know enough to vote on what the AHS is doing.  Do half of the
> people who go to the convention have any idea about what is being voted on?
> It seems to me that the only reason not to open voting to the membership is to
> insure that a small number of people have control.
> Just an opinion from someone who had other things to do.
> Chick
> -
Chick and all
Here is an addtional problem I observed.  Bob please pay attention here.
A motion was made and seconded to add to the bi-laws the ability of the
Journal editor to vote.  The chair took a hand vote, and sait it was
denied.  A cry went up from the floor , and a second hand vote was
taken.  again the chair said defeted.  A cry from several areas demanded
a count.  While the motion was again defeted, it was by ONE vote!!!  Now
the question. Many in the room were "non member" guests and spouses.
Was a check made to be sure that those voting were paid members?  You
bet not.  Ballot voting would assure fairness.  All of us must think
about the real necessary changes for the AHS and it's Bi-laws.
Ran Lydell