Re: Convention

Tom wrote:

> There is usually some pertinent and valuable discussion that takes place
> regarding the motion.

Again, I'm sorry that I wasn't there.  Was this the case on the motions in
question?

Obviously, it would be ideal if every member could be treated equally, and
in real life there are examples of it working and not working both ways.  My
state and many others put constitutional issues on the ballot, for people
both informed and ignorant to vote on.   Other organizations leave all
issues to be decided by elected representatives.  It seems to me that
examples of both good and awful results can be found in both methods.

My guess is, that since the vast majority of the members either can't or
don't attend the convention, if this issue was but to a vote of the entire
membership the procedure would be changed.  I can see why the elected
officials and the people who attend the conventions think the present method
is just fine, but I don't know why any of the rest of us would vote to
remain disenfranchised.

I have been a member of the AHS for many years and grow hostas for a
living.  I'm way over 21, have an IQ of slightly over 100, have never been
convicted of a felony, yet the fact that I can't easily leave my business to
go the the convention means that not only do I not get to vote on the
issues, I don't even get to vote on who will represent me on the governing
body of the society.

I think it's time for a change.

Chick