Re: Irrigation System Choices

I am not too eager to go the latter route due
>to the number of plants that will require lines.
>Can anyone give me some ideas on what the pros and cons are for the various
>types of methods of watering the hosta beds?
>North Alabama

Last year someone (sorry, I forget who!) suggested a company for drip
irrigation.  The name of the company is Irrigro, they have a web site, try
a search engine and you should find it.  They will send you a sample of
their product and pricing info.  They started out selling their product to
orchards but now sell to homeowners as well.

I put in the Irrigro drip irrigation system for 11 large raised beds in
various places on my property, including a large Hosta bed under a hundred
year old oak tree.  I have tons of the  drip line left and I am adding it
to my veggie garden this spring.  You lay the drip line on the soil surface
and you can mulch over it if you like.  I did just to conserve that much
more water and the drip line is white so it tends to stand out if you don't.

I put this system in when I was 8+ months pregnant in August of last year.
It took less than 2 hours from start to finish.  The most time consuming
was burying the water line so I wouldn't hit it with any lawn equipment.
Just bury it underneath the surface.  It runs 24 hours a day with flow
regulators.  My water bill has went DOWN, not up.  And it is a joy not to
have to water anymore!  I can't say enough good things about this company
or their product.

If you can't find them on the web, send me an e-mail and I'll find their
phone number.

Hope this helps,
Elizabeth, Atlanta