Species questions

I'm real confused about the species and all the names of Hostas out there
that have some form of a specie name.
Is there someone that can tell me what is a specie or not. I already know
that a specie is a plant found only in the wild...most come from Japan, Korea
or the islands over there. But, haven't there been more species found in
those countries since 'The Genus Hosta' book was published and is there a
list of these somewhere.
I know that in the Hosta Library there's a list of species but I don't
understand the other list of species in England. They have species that we
don't have???
Here's one of the hostas that have me confused....
   rectifolia var rectifolia nakai  or is it
   rectifolia nakai
How are the names come by, and how do we know if it's the right name...is
there anything written about the names?
Also, are the Japanese hostas suppose to keep their orignal names when they
come to the USA or do people put the English translation to some?
Does anyone have the chart that the AHJ put out with the old names of hostas
verses the exceptable names?
Thanks for any help coming my way,
Sue Smith