Tim, more alfalfa thoughts

Hi Tim,
I thought of another possibility using alfalfa. If you can get alfalfa meal
which hasn't been high heat treated, you could use that ( about a cup around
med hostas, more for the very large sizes). There are two downsides to using
the meal; it flies all over if there is a wind, and it mats down when wet. I
solved the matting problem by lightly 'scratching ' the meal into the top
layer of soil, then watering it in.
The pellets are certainly easier to use, so they are my first choice, but the
meal does work.   Gail
p.s. Any idea about why they heat treat the alfalfa?