Re: seedling question

In a message dated 3/15/00 12:48:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zumach@execpc.com writes:

<< Hi Paula---Somewhere I have gotten the idea that drops of water on the top
 of hosta seedling containers is not a bad thing.  But I am a real amateur at
 this. Could you expand your answer a little more?  How do you determine how
 much moisture is enough?  Thanks muchly.

You know what Hank, even if you only water a little the water will condensate
on the dome.  I guess experience is the best teacher, and I should have
taught myself by planting seeds gathered from my yard instead of planting my
good stuff and losing a bunch by overwatering.  The soil should be slightly
damp but not soggy, and I am now watering with a big mister bottle that
pretty much puts the water next to the seedlings, takes forever but I have
less damp off in this batch than the first that I planted.  It is pretty much
dry in the rest of the tray, or slightly damp.  Also, Ed said to use a thin
dowel to stir the soil up around the seedlings and between the rows.  This
lets air into the soil and breaks up the crust that the algae forms.

There now I said very little and it took forever, sorry.  N.