Re: Tree Roots

Add the soil at a rate of 2 to 3 inches per year. This is important if
you want your trees to survive. The type of tree and how much of the
trees' total root area are important factors in determining just how
much back fill your trees can take. Never put soil or mulch above the
root flair. This will cause decay of the trees' trunk.

If you do put more than the 2 or 3 inches per year of fill around your
trees you most likely will get root decay that will result in a gradual
decline in your trees that will take years to show up. The reason for
slowing filling this area is so the tree roots can grow up into this new
soil. I know the though of tree roots growing into this new soil is not
what you wanted to hear. Tree roots need air exchange just like people

This is a complicated subject with many interacting factors to consider
and is not easily done with accuracy over the internet.

Look for an I.S.A. certified arborist in your area and hire them to do a
consultation. It will be cheaper in the long run. It is expensive to get
trees removed and the loss of value to your real estate is yet another

I hope that it goes without saying that using a backhoe to cut back your
trees' roots is a no no. Whenever tree roots are pruned always make a
clean cut with a hand or chain saw.

You are not alone in not knowing what is best for your trees!

Go to the I.S.A. web site to learn about trees and to search for a
certified arborist in your area by zip code.

On a rant,

Dan Nelson,   I.S.A. Certified Arborist PD 186
Bridgeville DE
zone 7