Transplanting/ roots/ etc.

A few weeks ago someone mentioned that hosta roots can be mistreated and the
plants thrive. could that someone repeat that info?
My only experience in this area came from last May when my husband
inadvertently stomped on my emerging 'Guacamole' (Aye, Caramba!). Crushed
into the ground, the plant looked less than pitiful, but a month later it was
thriving and ended the season looking better than its companions.
BTW, Narda, the 'mudlarks' expression came from my Irish grandmother, whose
entire language was sprinkled with colorful phrases. (If one of her children
said " I
wish. . . " she'd say 'If wishes were horses, then poor men would ride.") One
more: When a man remarried
less than a year after his wife died, she stopped the gossip by saying "She's
as dead now as she's ever going to be." Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you
in hostaland.   Gail