Re: frost bitten hosta

Judy McCann wrote:

> Please offer some advice of what to do with emerging hosta leaves that have
> unfolded enough to get "bitten" by spring frost.  I have three or four now,
> and unfortunately probably more this weekend.
> Thanks
> Judy in VA (50 one night, 25 the next......)

Only thing I know to do Judy is to try not to look at them, or cut them
off when they unfurl completely. If it's the leaf only this won't set
the plant back, but if the complete plant emerges and gets frosted it
will kill to the ground, and then only the remaining axillary/lateral
buds will emerge this season due to the absence of apical dominance
removed by the frost. The plant won't be killed, but it won't be
anywhere near as large.  JML
--
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier