Subject: Re: frost bitten hosta
Author:  hosta-open@mallorn.com (owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com) at HERCULES
Date:    03/17/2000 12:39 PM

Judy McCann wrote:
> Please offer some advice of what to do with emerging hosta leaves
that have
> unfolded enough to get "bitten" by spring frost.  I have three or
four now,
> and unfortunately probably more this weekend.
> Thanks
> Judy in VA (50 one night, 25 the next......)

Only thing I know to do Judy is to try not to look at them, or cut
off when they unfurl completely. If it's the leaf only this won't set the
plant back, but if the complete plant emerges and gets frosted it will kill
to the ground, and then only the remaining axillary/lateral buds will
emerge this season due to the absence of apical dominance removed by the
frost. The plant won't be killed, but it won't be
anywhere near as large.  JML
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
Route 9  Box 908
Burnsville, NC  28714
(828) 682-4174