photo equipment

Hi All---I am thinking about buying equipment that would let me set up a computer record of photos of my plants and also send them over the net.  Some of the "photos" that have been sent out to these sites are outstanding, others less so.  Apparently, from some of Bob's recent postings, digital cameras are not way to go.  So, what should I buy?  What kind of equipment produces those great "photos?"

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
zone 4B