Re: Preserving hostas on a long trip when short on space.

Daniel Nelson wrote:
>      Here's a technique I learned from Bill Meyer last summer when we
> had a lot of hostas to get home after the convention in Ann Arbor.
>     Put more than one hosta in a pot. We were able to get as many as 8
> hostas in one container. This is a great technique that does not set the
> hostas back nearly as much a bare rooting does. It also makes for great
> viewing and discussion of the new hostas picked up along the way. We had
> very good success keeping hostas in this fashion for 8 or 10 days. After
> transplanting the hostas were watered in and kept in low light areas as
> much as possible during the trip.
> Another advantage is that the repotting can be done as you acquire
> hostas. This cuts down on the last minute rush to bare root all of your
> plants at the last minute. When you get home the plants look great and
> there is no urgent need to get them into the ground. I planted mine over
> the next several days after getting home.
> If you are flying this technique has it's limitations. But if you have
> the space or are driving give it a try. We brought home about 40 hostas
> in just a few containers and all did superbly. This also eliminates the
> stress associated with wondering how you bare root babies are doing.
> It amazing the dollar value you can get into a one gallon pot!
> Dan Nelson
> Bridgeville DE
> zone 7
> SussexTreeInc@ce.net

I did this trick, too, when I moved. Got a few 2 and 3 gallon pots, and
amazingly could fit 2 or 3 (depending on the plant size) hostas in each
  I even bought some larger pots, and made little "trough" gardens out
of my small and mini hostas, along with some other little things mixed
  I moved, they stayed in the pots overwinter, and all did just great!

Diane Frederick
Cleveland, OH