Re: Heavie-Jeebies

In a message dated Tue, 21 Mar 2000  6:59:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@ibm.net> writes:

> Thank goodness here in Tennessee I don't normally have heaving problems.
> But I do have another related problem with the same results: gardener
> boo-boo. Last year I planted several hostas too high, anticipating soil
> settling. It wasn't til this spring that I noticed their hairy little
> crowns showing above ground. In most cases, the roots are covered, though
> some of them have roots showing right where they join the crown.
> Should I dig these up and replant them deeper? (She asks with fear and
> trepidation, thinking about here aching back and the 20+ hostas from last
> year that still need planting)
> Gerry

If your landscaping allows you to do it- Just add an inch or two dirt on top of the crowns.  No need to redig them if you can add soil on top of them- but I would do it before the leaves unfold  - much easier and less likely to do any damage.

The first year I try to always plant my Hosta at least two to three inches deep, even the small babies.
This is not because I fear that the eyes will be damaged because of the cold- but because I do not want them popping out of the ground in the spring. It also promotes better root growth.