Re[2]: Heavie-Jeebies

Paul: I understand your planting the little ones deeper, but in most of my
garden visits to diagnose "what's wrong with my hosta, they are dying, they
don't grow, they are lopsided, they grow crooked", 99% of the time they are
planted 2-3 inches too deep. This even happens if you plant them higher up
but put mulch on the crowns over several years.

Seems to be a carryover into the nursery trade as well - often I visit with
nurserymen who complain their workers pot their perennials too deep, then
add soil mix to fill the pot and the plants suffer.

Yes, it does take more time and dirt to backfill. But seeing as many dying
plants from being planted too deep, I would rather plant them up.

Alex Summers had a thought years ago that hosta roots need air, that is why
the tips will grow out of the ground with old clumps. Likewise, if they are
kept too moist, they will drown or rot due to low aeration. Subsequent
research on the air needs of perennial plant roots seems to have confirmed
his observation.

Note: in clay soil, hosta roots stay right at the surface, while in sandy
or loose soil they can get quite deep.
     bruce