Re: $31,680., $47,520., or $115,560. That's a lot of BAP 10!

>What I want to find out is what concentration one needs of fresh BAP
>to induce lateral bud growth.
>1000 parts per million just seems way too high.

Although 1000 ppm may seem high, you must remember you are applying it
externally.  Chemicals that work in tissue culture generally need to
be applied at much higher concentrations when applied to the whole
plant.  I've tried 10,000 ppm and didn't have any damage to the
plants, although other people have reported some leaf damage.  If you
want to use a lower concentration you may be able to get some results
if you can treat the plants for a longer period of time.  For example,
you could take small hostas as the leaves emerge, put the foliage into
a container and let them soak in a lower concentration of BAP for
24-48 hours.  I haven't tried this approach as it's more work then I
care to do.

>Another concern I have is that one does not need to make many litters
>- there is no reason as you stated to treat ever Hosta in the state.

BAP-10 is stable, so it will store for a long time.  It's easy to mix
up in small quantities.  I use a 3 ml syringe to measure out 1 ml of
BAP-10 and then dilute that to about 30 ml.  If I have any of the
working solution left over I stick it in the freezer.

>So my main motivation is cost, I want to reduce the concentration
>and have less of the material on hand.

You can go in with a few other people and buy a liter and then split
it up.  For a commerical nursery the cost of $165 a liter isn't
unreasonable considering what chemicals cost today.  Still, I'm amazed
that BAP is as expensive as it is since it is a relatively simple
chemical.  Shouldn't be too difficult to synthesize.

>I just need to determine the best way to dissolve it. KOH or 95%

Go with the KOH if you want to keep it around for awhile.  Make it a
10% solution and then dilute as you need it.  If you have a good scale
you can measure out working quantities and disolve with DMSO and make
it up everytime you use it.

Joe Halinar