Subject: Re: $31,680., $47,520., or $115,560. That's a lot of BAP 10!
Author:  hosta-open@mallorn.com (owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com) at HERCULES
Date:    03/24/2000 2:45 PM

Please don't take offense, but we are not a golden egg.  BAP10 is used
by
commercial foliage growers in Florida by the 55 gallon drum full.  I
don't know
what other crops it is used on commercially, but Idon't think the
selling to Hosta
Society members is a significant part of their business.  I suspect
that if we all
decided to boycott BAP10, they wouldn't know about it unless we told them.

Chemicals are expensive.  A quart of Roundup concentrate, one of the
most common
herbicides on the market costs about $60, and the cost of many of the
insecticides
and fungicides commonly used by commercial growers would make your
hair curl.  A
5oz bottle of Enstar is $80, a 2oz bottle of Merit is $45.  If you buy
BAP by the
liter, the cost is about $5/oz, and just like anything else, if you
buy in tiny
quantities, you have to pay a lot more than if you buy in larger
quantities.
Nobody is going to bother getting into a business if he's not going to
make any
money at it.

Chick