fertilizing hostas

Thanks to all who responded to my query about fertilizing. In my first posting I used the word "encapsulated."
 I thought that is the generic word for "slow release".  Is that wrong?   The bag ( 50 lbs @ $48.00) uses the phrase "polymer encapsulated" and describes the "slow release" rates of the various fertilizers.  I believe it is essentially the same product as Osmocote which I thought was a "slow release" fertilizer.  It is my understanding that a major advantage of that type of fertilizer is that it only requires one application per year and that there is a gradual, continuing release for the entire growing season.  Is that wrong?  If it is true, why is there a need to wait until 70 degree temps to apply?
Ken,  I thought your posting was full of valuable information AND good for some laughs beside.  Thanks for taking the time to pass on all that information.  My soil is sandy and drains very well.
Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
zone 4B