Re: copyright?? on library photos

bob wrote:
RE:>> Ipix.  Anyone have any idea what it means?

Hi Bob and Hosta-Open croonies,
ipix appears to be a large Image hosting server/service.  They appear to be
international in scope. One  can find out more about them at
http://www.ipix.com/aboutus/about.shtml  If anyone knows of web-based
resources that can address some of this copyright infringement business, and
what needs to be done if one wants to NOT freely share their intellectual or
physical property, please post a URL.

It would also be nice to know what one has to do to protect the printed word.
Since I put so many of "them" out there... I would imagine that for those
pictures being sent via Hostapix, the author would have to attach a copyright
notice to every picture they send or it becomes part of the public domain
through negligence to protect a copyright.  I'm guilty of this all of the
time. :-)

Which brings me to a point where I left off a few weeks before I changed
ISP's.  The discussion was about copyrights and photographic works being
posted to the Internet.  For similar reasons as were being discussed, around
two years ago, I have decided to join the "GNU generation" when it comes to
software systems.  I now am making a concentrated effort to use ONLY software
that is licensed as "FREE" whenever possible.  This protects MY investment in
learning.  I got very tired of vendors forcing me into upgrades that were, 1)
expensive, 2) worse than what I was already using, with 3) incompatible
drivers, forcing purchases of new hardware and then it dawned on me... They
are in cohoots with each other and if I continue down this track, it will be a
never ending, vicious cycle!

One can learn more about this movement here
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.  The Linux O/S Kernel is one of
the GNU/Linux O/S pieces and as many know, this is a software system that is
being developed internationally.  It is estimated that by 2005, 50% of the
world's desktops will be using Linux and GNU/GPL type software systems.  Were
I to list the number of sofware packages that I use that fall under this
license, the list would be pages long.  Instead, I'll provide this link

Programmers are artists, too.  Thousands, if not millions, have made the
decision to cooperate to take computing to a new level and the whole world is
reaping the benefits.  Instead of making money by restricting access to their
work, they distribute it freely and then make money by offering their services
if the user has trouble making it work, or wants to tweak it for some custom
need.  The systems are evolving through enhancements so quickly that many
don't have any additional expense.  I would venture a guess that for basic
system needs, it is no more difficult to load Red Hat Linux 7.0 today than to
load Windows 2000 and it will do a LOT more.

I don't know when Bill Gates and the crew will begin to distribute Linux, but
believe me, GNU software is the wave of the future because of this need for
international and global standards.  GNU/GPL programmers don't hide the source
code, instead, they insist that every piece of software licensed under the GNU
license MUST include the source code.  It's a totally different way of

Which brings me back to these digital images. It seems to me that there is
room for a Hosta Library that contains pictures that are offered under a
similar "free license".  That those who post them there are both interested in
displaying their art AND in sharing it--freely.  With the idea that if they
get their names out there, someone will want to purchase more of their work or
even commission them for special projects.  While Linus has not become as
wealthy monetarily as Bill Gates, by making a decision to publish under the
GNU/GPL license, he has become rich in another way.  I'm sure he doesn't have
to worry about funds to purchase his next beer but I'm also sure he enjoys the
accolades from having made this unselfish decision.  (The fees from his
keynote speeches help to pay the rent, I'm sure).

I would imagine that if someone really wants to protect their copyright
interest on digital images, they will need to state this when the picture is
put up on the net in the first place.  They can add text to the picture so it
is obvious that the artist is wanting to show it but not to "share it freely".

I am glad that Linus Torvalds offered Linux under the GNU/GPL license.  It was
a very unselfish act and those people who do this are part of the GNU
generation, approaching life differently and making this a much better place
to live.  Distributing Free Software for a fee--it's the choice of a new

Something to think about Bob.  Policing the entire internet is going to take
some time and why not have two sections to the Library?  Insist that
contributors provide pictures with their name and copyright already overlayed
onto the picture, if they do in fact want such protection or let them know
that they are placing the picture into the public domain, just as Linus
Torvalds and thousands of others.

(A small sampling of software systems licensed under the GNU/GPL license.
Linux, the GIMP, Midnight Commander, GNOME Desktop, Abiword, Gnotepad+, gFTP,
and a much more extensive listing is available at
http://www.gnu.org/software/software.html .  Any one wanting to know more
about Linux can start here - http://www.kernel.org/)

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com