Moss Reference

Gosh you guys, I promise to take better notes next time.

Here's what I wrote down from Bob's talk on mosses. He said the best book
was one called Moss Gardening by Timber Press. If he mentioned the author, I
didn't right it down, sorry...

He said that Lynn Randolf (or Randolph) from Atlanta has a good book out. He
said he thought she was from Atlanta because she had an @Emory email
address. No title that I heard.

He said David Brenner had a video, but that it could all have been said in
10 minutes. I didn't get the impression it was worth the money for it, but I
may be wrong there too.

The few things I did write down, I'll share:

Mosses grow in winter
grow them in deciduous woods
they take much more light than people think
if you want a moss garden you have to weed
gotta watch tree seed, they love to sprout in moss
use a weed eater just above the moss to whack the tree seedlings
keep leaves off moss but do not rake, use a blower. If you do rake, do so
in winter, water mist is best but do not drown it.
leave them alone in summer, let them go dormant

He talked about using a blender to "propagate" with butter milk.
he talked about growing them on stones and Harry mentioned using vinegar and
something else, that I didn't write down cuz I knew I could ask him anytime,
so maybe he can expand on it now? Something to remove the lime from statues,
or something like that. I remember him saying you had to be careful, which
pretty much turned it off for me. But the vinegar thing sounded interesting.
How much damage could I do with vinegar?

Now for the big disclaimer. Remember that Bob was talking in Charlotte to a
"southern audience". I'm not sure any of this holds true for you Cindy, like
especially the growing in winter part? Heck how are you going to water when
you have all that snow? Maybe with you guys it's either fall or early
spring? I dunno....

That's all I know, sorry. Hope it helps.

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)