Re: Nuclear encoded chloroplast genes

zonneveld wrote:
RE:>>About a 1000 genes are involved in the operating of a chloroplast
900 of these are encoded in the nucleus THis is for sure new to
you but old hat for anyone working in the field.One of those in the
nucleus changes a chloroplast protein such a way that the
chloroplast becomes yellow
--------------------------

Good afternoon, Ben,
All of the reading I have been doing on A. Thaliana concurs with your
statement. Of course there are paragraphs upon paragraphs when I barely
understand a single word, but with the tables and pictures, it is fairly
easy to increase the comprehension even without extensive lab experience.
Since homologous genes could be recombined in sequence, or amino
acid/protein sequences are fairly easily modified, it seems quite plausible
that some chimeras could be described as being the result of mitotic
recombination.

WHEN and WHERE is my question.  I assume you are speaking of mit rec in the
meristem and not only in the gametophyte unions.

Do you have any web sites that speak more to this subject?  My searches at
Nature.com did not bring back much information on variegation in plants, or
chloroplasts.  Perhaps I need some better keywords there.

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew L.