Re: copyright?? on library photos//for profit

Profiting from someone else's property without permission and/or compensation is obliviously wrong. The fact that it is difficult to prosecute the violator and to show that you suffered an actual financial loss does not make the theft of property right.

Nurseries that steal their competitors plant photos just because they can are not very good places to spend your money in my opinion. Who can tell what other shady practices they might also be able to justify. Photo theft is probably just the tip of the iceberg in most cases.

Over and above the law should be people's personal conscience. If someone has made it known that they don't want others to use their photos then good people will honor their request. Bad people will ignore their request.

Who do you want to buy plants from?

If there is not a profit motive I don't see much wrong with borrowing text, photos etc. from the internet. It is my understanding that the owner would have to show financial loss to ever recover money in a court of law. Private use most likely is doing nothing more than promoting hosta growing.

Dan