Re: copyright?? on library photos

I see no difference in the pictures on my web site and the pictures in Zillis's
book, except maybe the quality.  Anyone who wants to use them for their personal
use knows that neither one of us care.  But anyone with an ounce of sense knows
that you can't take Mark's pictures and use them in your own book, in your ads, or
to sell plants on your web site.  I know that some will do it, but not because
they don't know they shouldn't.  They'll do it because they don't care.  I don't
see why my pictures deserve any less respect just because I put them on the web.

I think one thing that some people miss in this discussion is that it's not the
value of the pictures that someone takes, we all know that's not really
important.  It's the IDEA of it.  That someone would actually do it.  This idea
that everything on the web is free for the taking is crap.  I think it's safe to
say that this is a theory held primarily by people who have nothing valuable on
the web and like to get something for nothing.  Sharing information is great, but
keeping the web free and open does not require that we abandon common sense and
common courtesy, and of course, that great conservative holy of holies, property

If someone wants to use a picture of mine, why don't they just call and ask me?
If Ran needed a picture, do you really think I would tell him no?  But if he wants
to use a hundred of them, maybe we should talk about him giving me a few nice new
plants in return, in consideration of him saving a lot of time and money by using
pictures I spent a lot of time and money producing.  And if someone I never heard
of just takes something of mine off the web and uses it as his own, I shouldn't be
offended? If that's the way the web is going to change things, I don't like it.
The decision on who uses something of mine should be up to me. To tell me that if
I put something on the web, whether it be my hostas, my dog or my wife, that
anyone is free to use it for anything they want sounds like risky policy to me,
cause I can think of some things to do with your family photos that would make
your toes curl.  All in the name of web freedom of course.