Peter Ruh correspondence #5

Good Morning Peter and all:

The contents of your letter of Feb. 25th is still in my digestive tract.  One
thing that it has shown me is that you are a student from the old school
where we were taught that the faintest ink is better than the most retentive
memory.  Always leave a paper trail
so you can trace back where you have been.

During the past week I picked up two hosta names that were part of those
hybridized by by Chet Tompkins.  They came from the House of Hostas 2001
sales catalog.  They are "Black Forest' and 'Squash Blossom' .  I will send
you a copy for your file.  If you have any more on your Tompkins  list of
names, please forward them to me.

For this weeks exercise i have redone the David Stone listings to include all
the data that you sent.  I am sending you a copy of each for your file.  If
you see any corrections that I should  made, please advise me so I might have
the correct data. I am not able to send the DSM# listing by E-mail.  If
anybody wants a copy I can snail mail it to them.

Last Saturday afternoon while in the recovery room suffering from our
basketball game loss to Wisconsin, I ran your price list thru the Lemke's
Master List looking for new hostas names and error if any.   I am sending you
that list with my comments where we have a disagreement.  I will hi-light
areas of disagreement.  I noted item#C-8 Tish.  I wonder if that is one and
the same ID 2178-iac Tish #3 & 4.  I do not have 'Blaugold'  Send me
inforation on it.  Also 'Upbeat" and 'Canadian Foreign Affairs'.  On L-B you
have a 'Raul Bunyon'   Is that the same as Chet Tompkins's "Paul Bunyan"??

I like that old saying that you quote from Frances Williams 'Guesses are
gooses".  Along that same line. I like "Close only counts in horseshoe'.  So
we plod on trying to keep the records straight.

You inquire about the "Index of Hostas" by  Wm 'Bill' Burto.   Yes i have
those books.   If you go to line 8 in the reference section you will see
"AHS"  There I record 'Not registered" as 'Not reg'. or I sight the Page
number where the registration can be found. The Next item you see is AHS J
which means American Hosta Society  Journal.   There can be found the data
from those books.  Such as 19-1-53. or year 19, issue number  1, and then
page number 53.  It is all simply complicated.  It can be said that you have
to know the method in my madness.

Please send more info on Leprechaun.  I have ID1357-RC Leprechaun. or DSM
#15.  I will add ID #1357-ES for Leprechaus-A  Moldovan and ID#1357-ES for
Leprechaun-B for Leprechaun-Brookwood Gardens.  I might have to come up with
something other than ES to denote the fact that the name can be used on only
one hosta.  Give me your a feed back,

So for this time, that's 30: