Re: copyright?? on library photos

I saw your hostas on the web and I would like to have them.  Please send them to me.  I
do not want to pay for them.

I'm sure that many of you are getting tired of this conversation, but I find it
facinating, so I just can't help myself.

Andrew, when you get some pictures and put them on the web, you can give them to anyone
you want, because they are your pictures.  And if it means you sell more hostas, it will
be a very smart thing to do.  I know hosta pix promote hostas, that's why I put them on
my website, because I sell hostas.  Frankly, it is not my objective to help you sell
hostas.  I offer this as a challenge to you.  Look around and find something you paid and
worked hard for and send it to me. Simple as that.  Just send me something of yours
because I want it.  And not something crappy either.  I want something of value and I
don't want to pay for it.

Your theory of a paradigm shift is nonsense.  People give away things on the web because
they have decided that it is an intrigral part of their business plan, the purpose of
which is to make money. They don't give anything away because you are somehow entitled to
it.   I grant you that there are a few people who actually give away things with no
thought of getting something in return.  Typically, these people kick themselves in the
ass when they discover how valuable thier contribution was.  And I will admit that there
are one or two absolutely selfless people in the world, but I am not one of them.  The
guy who invented Napster is so generous that he's willing to give the music companies a
billion dollars to let him continue giving his product away for the good of mankind.  You
cannot possibly be that naive.

Your examples of all the wonderful free stuff on the web are interesting but mean
nothing.  The stuff is free because the owners decided to give it away, not because you
have any right to it, and they decided to do that because they felt it was the best way
to make money.  Microsoft gives away Explorer, but they don't give away Frontpage, and if
they thought they would make more money if they stopped giving Explorer away, or by
making Frontpage free, guess what they would do.  My bank gives away pens with their name
on them, but I can't go to their supply cabinet and take whatever I need.  Everything of
value that's given away on the web is given away for a reason, and the reason is not the
betterment of mankind.  I give you the right to look at my pictures for free without
buying anything from me.  I give you the right to read anything on my site without buying
plants from me.  But I get to decide what of mine I want to give away, not you.  Call
your free software suppliers and tell them you want the rest of the stuff for free too.
Call Microsoft and ask them for a free copy of Frontpage.  Just explain that we want the
internet to be free.

If I felt that I would make more money from my pictures by letting my competitors use
them for free, I would probably do it.  I hope this doesn't sound like all I care about
is money, but this is what I do for a living.  Very few of you go to work for the fun of
it.  I expect to be paid for what I do just like every other working stiff in the
country.   If Ran, one of my competitors, wants to use my pictures for free, I would
probably let him because he's a nice guy.  But it should be my decision to be generous
with what's mine, not Ran's or your's or anyone else's.  They are my pictures.  And there
is no way you can justify taking what's mine without asking, any more than I can come to
your house and help myself to whatever I want.  And by the way, what are you sending me?
Where's my stuff?

Taking my pictures has nothing to do with keeping the web free.  And if everything on the
web was really free, there wouldn't be a web. The real short of it is that nobody has the
right to take something of mine just because they want it.

Where's my stuff Andrew?  I'm getting tired of wondering what you're going to send me.  I
like beer a lot, maybe even more than hostas.  Got any beer?

andrewl wrote