Re: copyright?? on library photos//court is in session.

> Dan Nelson wrote:
> Andrew,
> I gather from you posting that you feel it is okay to use photos from
> the Hosta Library even when you have been told that permission has not
> been granted.
> Go ahead and use them if the law is the only thing holding you back. I
> think you will find that you will get a bad reputation as a hosta
> nursery and as a nurseryman. If people's wishes don't slow you down
> maybe lost income and a bad reputation will. There is a fairly small
> group of people that are buying these hundreds of new hosta cultivars.
> Bad news travels fast in this group as you will find out after you
> have been with us for a few years.
> You seem to have a problem with Bob. I know you do a lot of web
> work and maybe there is a bit of professional jealousy going on here.
> I hope you don't continue to have problems with Bob and what he has
> done and is doing for hostas on the internet.
Dan, Bob, Chick, whoever....

Perhaps I did not make myself clear.  This is a library.  Like someone
said, you can cut photos out of a magazine and make a scrapbook - I can
go to any public library and photocopy pictures, and text for my
personal use.  If someone is stupid enough to use such things
commercially, in a book, advertisement, as you say in another web site -
that's THEIR problem and and they can be judged accordingly.  What I
strongly object to is the over-reaction to all this.

By putting safeguards, etc in place, you stop EVERYBODY from "using" the
photos for ANY purpose.  I personally have a directory of photos, some
taken from the hosta library, of my favourites, said directory being
named "want list - hostas".  I enjoy looking at an ACDC slide show of
them occassionally.  So sue me.

It doesn't seem to matter what the hot topic of the week is - you guys
always seem to go overboard.

So go ahead Bob, turn the library into Fort Knox - stop the bad guys -
and the good ones from enjoying it.

And speaking of copyrights - nobody has had the guts to tell me what's
lurking on their hard drives. And frankly I don't care.  Ask me for a
program, if I have it - it's yours.  If you are stupid enough to make cd
copies of it and sell it - tough on you when you get caught.