Re: Hosta Sports, continued...

>I'm just curious, Joe, why you are so firmly convinced that mitotic
>recombinations is NOT be a viable explanation for SOME Hosta sports

I don't believe that I ever said that mitotic recombination could
never be the cause of a green edge on a yellow hosta.  However, the
chances of that are so low that we can pretty much dismiss it as a
casual cause of green edges developing on yellow hostas.  Besides
mitotic recombination there is also chromosome loss/damage, point
mutations and transposible elements.  Ben has not shown any proof that
mitotic recombination is the cause of green edges on yellow hostas, or
even any evidence for it.  All the other possible explinations are
just as viable.  Personally, I think transposible elements are more
likely the cause.

>...particularly for more stable ones like Great Expectations which is
>a periclinal chimera,

Great Expectations sported from an all green/blue leafed hosta.  So,
where did the yellow come from?  The open pollinated seedlings that I
grew last year, about half were yellowish while the rest were green.
Didn't appear to be maternal inheritance to me.  I did have an all
yellow leafed sport of GE that survived while it was attached to the
main crown, but it didn't survive after I seperated it from the mother

>I don't know why a mitotic recombination for Abiqua Recluse would
>only offer one variety of a green edged sport.

If you have a plant that is Yy and you have a mitotic recombination
then you get two cells, one of which is YY and one which is yy.
However, if you have a lot of genes between the Y gene and the end of
the chromosome that are heterozygous, they will also show up as
recessive phenotypes.  However, to have have any significent effect on
the appearance of the green edge they would have to be genes that
somehow influence/control the green edge.  The cells that develop the
yy geneotype should be green just like any regular green leafed hosta.
However, when you look at sports in hostas you see a LOT of different
sports that would be difficult to explain by mitotic recombination.

Joe Halinar