Re: Pill bugs/sow bugs

This is an extremely safe control for the above hungry critters, and it
DOES work! ix about 1 cup cornmeal with
1 or 1 tablespoons powdered boric acid, and sprinkle wherever needed, in
pots or scattered among plants in your
  hosta beds. One caution:  you'll need to reapply after rain since the
boric acid powder is water solubl
      Boric acid does not harm earthworms, birds, cats which might
inadvertently lick residue off their paws,
or anything else I can think of except scavenging insects (such as ants)
and garden-variety arthropods (such as
pillbugs and sowbugs). It is the active ingredient in a flea-control
powder, applied to our entire house 7 or 8 years
ago at something like $400 by a company whose workman spilled the beans to
me about the composition of the
powder.  They used an indoor "drop spreader" and then a vibrator to work it
into carpets.  End of flea problem!
      Cheapest source will probably be in garden-supply or hardware stores
with insecticide/pest control items;
my pound of Boric Acid: Roach Rid cost a couple of dollars and will last me
for a decade or more.
      Sorry, it doesn't work for slugs, but should help you toward a garden
with fewer holes from other sources.
                                   Hostally,         Louanna