Origin of Sports Discussion

Dr. Zonneveld,
         I think we all can agree that twin spots occur in hosta. The photo did appear to be one, right? The diagram did accurately represent one, didn't it? Your description was what I thought they were, so I think we are on the same page so far. The obvious question that arises now is: If we can return to your theory that green-edged sports of gold hostas are primarily caused by mitotic recombination as you have stated numerous times, then why does the center of these sports stay gold and not become white? Mitotic recombination in a heterozygous gold will result in separate areas of green and white tissue. We have seen this. It is referred to in other publications, including Dr. Marcotrigiano's "....Patterns of Deceit" article. All can agree that there is no reason to think it does not happen in Hosta, or that it did not happen in yesterday's picture. I think we can all understand it, at least at a basic level. So how do we get from here to your theory that green edges (yy cells) on gold hosta are the result of this occurrence in the meristem, and what then becomes of the white tissue formed by the YY cells? How does your theory explain this? How is it that when mitotic recombination occurs in the leaf it forms the classic and predictable pattern, but when it occurs in the meristem, it does not?
         I don't remember throwing any "insults or false accusations" at you, and I can assure you that I have made more controlled crosses than all but a very few in Hosta breeding. I think all would agree that this is a "serious question", so I  think I am within the conditions you set for further discussion. If some find your answers overly brief and lacking in detail, perhaps you could explain a little further than you have been doing. This may improve the way that others perceive your responses to questions about your own published theories.
                                                                                                           .........Bill Meyer