Dear Betty,

I do have a garden.  I like it, and on occasion, have commented on hosta
stuff both on the Open and privately.

I live in Detroit in a historic district built originally by some of the
great names in the automotive world and others of influence at the turn of
the century.  My lot is about 2/3 of an acre and the 7,000 sq ft house sets
towards the front of the property.  The 4-car garage I built a few years back
is at the rear of the property.  I have eliminated all lawn from the back
garden and have a privet hedge that roughly divides the back garden into
front and rear gardens.  The front rear garden has 5 beds--one along each lot
line, one from the rear porch extending to the far side of the west wing, one
against the privet hedge between the two walks going to the rear garden and
an oval raised bed in the center.  The rear garden is largely a
work-in-progress, with a few things going that I find attractive.

Since the hospital I worked at for 33 years closed in February 2000, I have
decided to return to school to become a Registered Nurse.  I am enrolled in a
two-year Associates Degree program, taking 15 hours last semester and 17
hours this semester.  I have maintained a 4.0 GPA.

I, too, have problems with slugs and rabbits, which I control with ammonia
water and cats, respectively.  I have posted on the former for the last
couple of years, but there seems to be little interest in slugs during the
winter months.

Thank you for your concern.

Jim Dixon