Re: Stabilizing Sports

Hi Jim,
     It sounds pretty interesting. Ran's bud-isolation may do the trick. Another approach I have tried is waiting until fall and scraping off the buds under the all-green leaves. This has the advantage of separating off very little of the plant material from the sport yet causing the buds you want to sprout the following year to do so. The following year you may see one or more stable divisions. The disadvantage is that this is less likely to isolate the new sported tissue from the old all-green tissue. I would look to isolate it further the following year. Ran's method may be the best yet for isolating it but sets it back quite a bit in size. After two years, you may end up with pretty much the same thing, so I wouldn't say one was better than the other.
                                                                                             .......Bill Meyer

...Bill Thankyou. I would love to describe it. I don't have any pictures but
hope to get a digital soon to remedy that. This is a natural sporting of H.
Hyacinthina, typical green, rich and full. The sported white is very
interesting to me as it appears in two ways, a motteled/smeared white
(possibly in L1) with the standard green appearing to be under it (possibly
in L2 or L3). The second is a sectorial or mericlinal chimera appearing only
on one side of leaf mid rib. This coloring appears on approx. half of the
leaves on each crown that I have separated. In 3 years I have gathered about
15-18 crown divisions displaying this sporting. It also appears that I have
lost (visually) the sporting in some of the divisions as they reverted back
to green. Also each year I get a new surprise as each division returns plus
or minus in number of leaves that display the white
  Bill I hope I haven't totally confused the issue, I will take pictures
this spring.

                                                                   Jim Towle