Origin of Sports Discussion

Dr. Zonneveld,
          You said: "Because it happens in the meristem where each layer probably
has only a few cells so a dead cell would not n be noticed". It occurs to me that if you could find dead white cells between the green and gold tissues and photograph them, you would have proof that mitotic recombination was the cause. Please say if I am correct in this. While this may take a little time, surely you have the ability to do this, and it would make your case very nicely.
          It occurs to me that we may have an example of a green-edged gold sport caused by mitotic recombination right under our noses. The plant 'Striptease' is known for the odd white tissue between the gold center and the green edge. What is your opinion of this? Do you think this is the case? Is there any way to determine that this is the cause, perhaps with an electron microscope? I'm sure that Leiden University has excellent equipment for you to work with.
                                                                                                         .......Bill Meyer