Re: Stabilizing Sports--Help us Lu Treadway.

Hosta Sports Aficianados,

I wish in this post to make some statements meant to correct some
impressions that may have been misconstrued. Dan, in a modest way,
referred to laziness on his and Preston L:ittleton's part in not having
completed data compilation on the Hyacynthina group of sports. The
correction to be made is that this job of compiling sports is very time
consuming to put the sports in their proper block in the Sports Library.
Even the creation of the HostaSports.com webpage was an awful lot of
work which Dan and Preston deserve lots of credit for establishing.

By Jan 1997 there were approximately 30 or more sports of Hyacynthina
identified and described by their position on the Hosta Wheel (compiled
by a committee of one person...me). By 1998 at the time of the Jan
Winter Sci  meet there were approximately double this number. The number
of such Hyacinthina sports was so great that we ( now a committee of 10
people ) decided to put a postponement  on placing them as they had been
compiled previously.....perhaps breaking up the group into sub groups.
This has not yet been done and I am partly to blame.. So it was this
uncompleted task which prevented final compilation of the total number
of sports. That was three years ago. Since that time a number of  new
sports have been identified within the group.

I ask our two European friend who sent their data base list of
Hyacinthina sports to Dan...what is the source of your information...and
do you have better descriptions of the coloration of leaves? . This is
vital information...not just the names per se. Lu's data base may show
some duplications but that will not be a problem. The more information,
the better, in my opinion.

Jim Hawes