Re: yellow inheritance

>From what I can tell of this conversation, and my stumblings around
>into molecular bio, it seems to me that the equation is a bit more
>complicated than Yy or Yg.   Maybe it was gg and Yg on one set of
>alleles, but gg and Yb on another, and gw and Yw on another
>(respectively, pod and pollen parents).

I'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what it is you are
trying to say, as have some others who sent private emails to me.  It
is clear that you do not have a good grasp of Mendelian genetics.  And
it seems from Ben's response that he either made some serious
typographical errors or he also needs a refreasher course in Mendelian
genetics.  Bob Axmer has posted some of my Genetics 101 messages on
his web site.  Don't know the URL off hand, maybe Bob can send it to
you.  If you go to google.com and type in genetics 101 you will find
it fairly easily.  I think it should provide you with some basic
information. It was written for a daylily group, but the basic
information is the same.

Every gene has a certain location on a chromosome called a locus and
in a diploid there are two copies of each gene, one from the pod
parent and one from the pollen parent.  Each gene is given a symbol,
such as Y or H or Pa or Chr-1.  Genes come in different flavors called
alleles.  In the case of yellow leaves in hostas there is a "yellow
leaf" gene that is given the synbol "Y" where Y is the dominant gene
that causes yellow leaves.  There ia a non active allele of this gene
called y that does not function, hence it does not produce yellow
leaves.  There could also be other alleles of the "yellow leaf" gene
that are only partly functional.  These allels could be called y-1,
y-2, etc (actually, the number would be a subscript, but I can't write
a subscript in ASCII email.  These alleles differ in their base pair
arrangment so that they produce a enzyme that has a different amino
acid at a certain location.  That different amino acid may not have
any effect on the functioning of the enzyme, or it could totally shut
down the enzyme.  It could also make the enyzme function at a much
slower rate.  Thus, for every gene at a certain locus there are many
different possible alleles, but a diploid can only contain two alleles
of each gene, one from the pod parent and one from the pollen parent.

Now, a hosta is either YY, Yy or yy, if we are talking about a fully
functional gene and a totally nonfunctional gene.  Other hostas could
be (y-1 y) or (y-1 y-2) or (Y y-1) or how ever many different
combinations that can be made from the total number of alleles taken
two at a time.

I don't know what your proposed G or green leaf gene is.  The
biosynthesis of chlorophyll is VERY complex and there are probably a
hundred or more genes involved in chlorophyll synthesis.  A mutation
in any one of these genes could result in the failure of the plant to
produce chlorophyll if it occures in the early to mid part of the
biosynthesis, while it can result in a yellow pigmment that is close
to a fully formed chlorophyll molecule, but not quite complete, if the
mutation is in a gene at the end of the process.  These late forms of
chlorophyll are generally yellow pigments.

The yellow leafed gene "Y" is probably an inhibitor gene that somehow
stops chlorophyll synthesis before it is completed.  The reason that
many yellow leafed hostas "green up" during the year is that inhibitor
genes are often temperature sensitive.  The "Y" gene is not in the
chlorophyll biosynthetic pathway.  Now, there could be a mutation in
the chlorophyll biosynthetic pathway that stops chlorophyll synthesis
and we could call this gene Ch.  We could also call it "a" for albino,
or "w" for white.  Now, for a hosta to produce "green leves", that is,
leaves with chlorophyll, it would have to be genotype ChCh yy or Chch
yy, which can also be written Ch__ yy where the "_" underscore can be
either CH or ch.  The Ch and Y genes are two completely different
genes at different locations on the chromosomes.  They could be on the
same chromosome or different chromosomes.  A hosta with genotype chch
yy would be albino and a genoype of chch Yy would also be albino
because the ch gene stops chlorophyll synthesis before the Y gene can
do it's dirty work.

Joe Halinar