Re: yellow inheritance

Andrew:

>In plants, it gets more confusing because we also have DNA in the
>plastids, and the mitochrondria, though more limited (averaging about
>25%?).

The more you try to clarify what you said earlier the more confused I
get.  You really need to get hold of some older genetics book from the
60's or 70's that actually covers Mendelian genetics if you want to
get a better idea of what is happening.

Yes, chloroplasts and mitochrondria do contain a SMALL amount of DNA,
but it really is a SMALL amount.  I had some figures here but can't
find them right now.  You are looking at less then one tenth of one
percent.  There are not many functioning genes in the mitochrondia or
chloroplasts.

In terms of color, probably all the genes for pigments are nuclear.
Not only do you have chlorophyll genes, but there is two different
types of chlorophyll (a and b), and there are also carotene pigments
in the chloroplasts (mostly yellow and orange, but red and pink are
possible) and there are waxy genes for the blue wax.  You are talking
about hundreds of genes.

On top of this hostas are probably an ancient amphidiploid, so there
is probably a lot of gene duplication.  With 30 pairs of chromosomes
it won't be easy to develop linkage maps.

Joe Halinar