yellow answers

First when I say gg and Yg I thought that would be more clear (
wiere g stands for green) , but scientifically it is better to use Yy for
the yellow plant and yy for the green plant, the YY does not survive.
The y non-mutated gene is fully active!, contrary to what JH says. It
is only the mutated Y gene that is less active. Many genes can be
involved in leaf coloring but so far there is only a single gene
responsible for yellow This single gen can have different mutations
in it ( alleles) explaining the different yellows. Now your questions

<What percentage of the progeny would have been Yellow if the
<pod parent had been selfed?  Was there a control in this
<experiment?  Do you state this in an article and I've simply
<missed the reference?  If so, please let me know.
THere is not an article from me on yellow If a yellow plant is selfed
you get: 25% green plants ( yy) 50% yellow plants(Yy) and 25 %
YY plants that die

<Ben's is pointing out that there is good cause to believe that
<coloration in Hosta is controlled by mulitple genes.  I am
<wondering about BZ's statement that "all sports that are due to
<chimeral rearrangement are identical".
THis is only true for look-alikes! as clearly stated

P.S.  Has anyone begun the process of sequencing and isolating
genes that influence coloration in Hosta?  Maybe Ben Lockhart or
Frank Riehl?
No one will do that It is far too expensive. Moroever the amount of
DNA in an average hosta is about 100 times higher than in

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands