From: Dan Nelson
Sent: 22 March 2001 08:36
Subject: Re: Collecting Sport Photos - pic/etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Hi Bob, and all of you other honorary members of the hosta sports committee.
Once we start to show the photos of the hosta sports we are going to realize that many of these plants are already in the Hosta Library as named cultivars. Many of our favorite hostas are sports of other hostas. We hope that people that use the HostaSports.com website will go to the Hosta Library to see photos of these hostas. It would seem like a real waste of time for us to try to duplicate the thousands of photos that are already at the Hosta Library site so we decided not to go that route.
What we really need to collect and label correctly are the various forms that hosta sports begin as and the forms they progress through on their way to either stabilizing or not stabilizing. A stabilized form is a new cultivar. A form that won't stabilize is mostly a garden oddity. (I may need correcting or clarified on this point). The photos we are most interested in at HostaSports.com is photos of these various stages. I think it  would be great if both Bob and the Hosta Library and Joe at his homestead.com site would keep these photos too. Preston and I know better than to try to compete at getting photos on the internet with Bob. We don't want to compete with Joe either.
With such a large number of hosta gardeners watching so many hostas grow there must be a lot of sports out there. What are trying to do several things at HostaSports.com.
 First we are trying to document the groups of hosta sports.
Second we are presenting information to promote the understanding of hosta sports.
Our third hope is that we can provide enough information so that the interested hosta gardener can identify and isolate hosta sports that show up in their gardens.
This listing is not necessary in any order. I am writing this without consulting with the hosta sports committee so I may need adding to or corrected in some of my assumptions.
I hope all you will look for and take photos of hosta sports this season and share with us. We only can pass 30k photos here on hostas open so larger photos will have to go to the Hosta Pix listserve or mailed directly to those you want to send them to.
Watch HostaSports grow in the next year. We hope to be the best source for hosta sport information on the planet and you can help.
Hi Joe
I almost missed this. If someone wants to do a site of these go for it,
otherwise I could make a section in the library of them.
Bob             Bob Axmear  208 2nd St Ne  Waukon, Ia 52172
                Hostasonline http://hostasonline.com/
                Hosta Library http://hostalibrary.org/