Re: Fw: Sports--Help us

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lu Treadway" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Sports--Help us
I will try to deal with a couple of your points

> Gang,
> My point is, that if the International Registrar for the genus Hosta has
> issued a document stating that  H. Yippiekiya is a sport of H.Cowboy
> then by whatever means, we find out that in fact it is a sport of H. Girl
> Power, then should we not make the appropriate attempt to change the
This has been an on going problem for many years.  We know ( or at least
think we know) of many mistakes in the registration .  The overriding
decision, as to how these should be resolved, generally rests with the
"originator" or the person who placed the registration.  If someone thinks I
have a mistake in one of my registrations, ans could request the change they
thought was right, The situation would soon be chaos.  There is a provision
, provided in the system, for a change to be made subsiquent  to
registration.  This would let the Holder or orignator,  make a change for
instance , in size.  or in bloom time.  But again thet change is not
initaited by the registrar.
> Yes, I'm opening a can of worms.
> First, why are we calling plants H. Fortunei Hyacinthina Gold Standard?
> we saying that all forunie's are hyacinthina now?
 If so, does the Registrar
The Fortunei group is quite diverse.  One of the selections is Hyacinthina
It differs form some of the others, on having whitish backs, a general
"blue" cast and a leaf that is a bit different.  It also has been as you can
see the source of a lot of sports.
> agree? Does the hosta scientific community agree? Yes, I know Ben's a
> scientist, but so are lots of other people. What would George Schmid say?
> any other well known and respected hosta "guru".

> Should there be an undertaking at the AHS to study the current
> and make a recommendation as to the renaming of plants?
Some of tht has been undertaken for the simple purpose of making things a
little more understandable.  But it takes a lot of time.  Someone has to be
paid for that.  The U of Min. is reluctant to spent the sheckles.  And David
Stevenson, has a lot of other things he is responsable for besides
> If I registered H. Girl Power as a sport of H. fortunei, and I'm still
> (wait, lemme check, yup still alive) should I not be consulted? Does Bob
> agree with changing the sport name?
> I'm asking these questions for two reasons. One very personal. I have a
> quest for knowledge, but I want order. I want accuracy. I want follow
> through. Now, lets all understand something. I'm not a scientist. I'm not
> hybridizer. I am not in the hosta business. I'm your every day Lu who has
> passion for hostas.
> Second, we are talking about publishing a website that is going to list
> plants as sports of another, when official records indicate otherwise. You
> guys, that's a big BIG thing. Some of you are considered the elite of the
> hosta world. That to me means you want to post accurate information, no?
> shouldn't everyone agree on this concept of fortunei's being hyacinthina
> vice a versa?
Few would argue thet Hyacinthina is a Fortunei selection.  You are safe with
that one
> I'm a proponent of the internet as a gateway into knowledge. I have
> of the Hosta Library continuing to grow. When it got started, it was a
> shadow of what it is today, AND it's only a shadow of what it will some
> become. As we raise the level of our expectations, the tools rise to meet
> them. As we learn, we become better.
> To me, Hosta Sports has that same potential. It is a very VERY important
> site. It can be a resource used world-wide to track the evolution of our
> precious hostas.
> I'm for raising it to a new level of professionalism.
> Respectfully,
> Lu
In most cases, it going to be best to follow the "Published line"  There
will be a few exceptions, but those cae aalways easy to change.  The info on
the Color Wheel material is quite accurate, and does reflect a few
differences from the registration---but heck ---those are the Hosta
mysteries that keep this whole thing intrestion!