Re: Fw: Sports--Help us {THE ULTIMATE OBJECTIVE?}

At 10:19 PM 03/22/2001 -0800, Lu Treadway wrote:
>To me, Hosta Sports has that same potential. It is a very VERY important
>site. It can be a resource used world-wide to track the evolution of our
>precious hostas.
>I'm for raising it to a new level of professionalism.

```` Lu Treadway ..I agree with you whole-heartedly on
the  importance!  Now? ..some thoughts keep coming to mind; related to the
time when Jim Hawes started with his Artist's Palette expansions of the
Benedict Cross ideas; moving up into clock positions of mutations/sports;
Bill Meyer's Hosta Color Wheel creation AND etcetera, etcetera...

This thinking, is related to the *ULTIMATE OBJECTIVE* of having a very
organized classification system for hosta mutations; and I feel that, Jim
Hawes will have to verify and/or correct me if I am wrong on my assumptions
of the Hosta Wheels Committee's (and for lack of better words?) let me
simply refer to it's final purpose as "the hidden agenda & objectives" of same?

TO WHIT ...the most important aspect of placing a new hosta mutation into a
clock position and using Meyer's Color Wheel as well is: to discourage
registration of hosta items, which appear identical!

For example ...let us suppose that Bill Nash registers a new mutation,
under the name of "HI DIDDLE DIDDLE"; Lu Treadway meanwhile, registers a
hosta called "CAT & FIDDLE"; while Jim Hawes registers one called "COW
JUMPS OVER MOON"; and none of these three persons, are aware of the other's
                  ...now let us also suppose, strictly as a hypothetical
example, that the three new registered items are each from H. longipes
'Grand Slam'; each of these has a center leaf variegation, sitting at 10
through 11 oclock on the hosta wheel i.e. white centered.
                  ...the plants are identical, therefore the logical name
should be:
H. 'hididdlediddlecat&fiddlecowjumpedoverthemoon'  (spoken as a single
word!) <<this is made as a joke?>>
                  ...HOWEVER! ..having a terrific mutation classification
system in place, then Registration of all of the above three should not be
allowed! ..wouldn't everyone agree?

There are many thousands of different named hostas out there.  Personally,
I think, it is about time that identical hosta mutations already
registered, should not be allowed to be registered?  This is a highly
controvertial position to take, but I'm thinking this was the original
intent, when Jim Hawes started this work?

TO: Jim Hawes ...please correct me if I am wrong?

                 just a little?