Re: Tetraploids in Hosta

In a message dated 03/23/2001 5:19:07 PM Central Standard Time,
Giboshiman@aol.com writes:

Although, I didn't say it expressly, my conversations with Lois Girton a
cellular biologist and member of the American Hosta Society, is that she
believes the same relationships apply to hosta and that they way to tell is
to examine the pollen of hosta under the microscope.

A number of polploids in plants have discernible morphological
characteristics including:

large pollen grains
larger guard cells
thicker cuticle
self compatibility- while the normal form is more or less self incompatible.
slower growth rate
larger or smaller flowers
thicker petals or tepals

The above list is not complete but one caveat-the above indications do not
prove a polyploid but gives one some direction to which plants to look at.

Still must do a chromosome count to make a definitive identification.

Paul

Specialty Perennials
Hardyplants.com