Re: Tetraploids in Hosta {seedpod-size?}

At 07:27 PM 03/23/2001 -0800, Joe Halinar wrote:  << The problem in hostas
is that there really aren't many well established tetraploids and also it's
difficult to look at a tetraploid hosta and see anything that says "I'm a
tetraploid."

Joe Halinar et al,  (going on from what you've written above ;--)
                        Re: Hosta ventricosa; as a selected example plant
-- it is written almost everywhere -- that this plant says "I'M A
TETRAPLOID", so I'm wondering:
      _if anyone has actually shown hard-copy documentation, proving this
plant contains 120 chromosomes?
      _and if so, to what degree of it's meristem layers "LI, LII and LIII"
i.e. all of these, or just one, or just two layers?

It is also stated:  Ventricosa is the only pure-breeding hosta i.e. all
seedling offspring are identical to the Mother (pod-parent) and this,
because it produces seed without actual fertilization (via pseudogamous
apomixis).  I thought I saw new introductions somewhere, having ventricosa
in their pod-parenting pedigree; and therefore, I'm wondering if these are
not straight ventricosa-like plants, by their asexual reproductive nature
of their maternal source/derivative?

Anyway & in closing: the only visual-thing I can see about VENTRICOSA (as
possible Polyploid proof?) is: VERY LARGE SEED-PODS, like three to four
times the size of other hostas (seeds included)?  I am also seeing this
kind of pod-size on a few other hosta seedlings.  Maybe, this is a link to
your Tetraploid question: "I'm a Tetraploid!"?  <<ah'dunno>>

<just a few thoughts> and remaining

HOSTA'lly yours

:-B))

William Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 4