RE: Pill bugs/sow bugs

Interesting, Narda.  Probably dusted a few dogs back then myself.

I'm interested in your statement that pill bugs are not insects.  What are

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
[mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of NardaA@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2001 5:38 PM
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: Pill bugs/sow bugs

In a message dated 3/25/01 6:21:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
diannthoma@earthlink.net writes:

<< So - yes, you can kill sowbugs with Sevin (Carbaryl) but I surely
 want to."

I grew up in the country, during a period of time where we did not
the consequences of using chemicals and or pesticides.  I remember dusting
all the dogs with seven once a week to rid them of fleas and ticks.  We used
it on everything that we grew, it was do that or grow nothing for the bugs.
I was a small child but being the oldest I had a lot of responsibility for
caring for both the garden the dogs, cats and my siblings.  So far thank God
we have not had any problems with our exposure to these chemicals.  We all
have fairly typical children, maybe a little smarter than typical but doing

I have stopped using mulch several years ago to try to eliminate some of the
pill bug infestation.  I can say that pill bugs will take down a hosta if
they are in large enough numbers and will work on impatients and many other
fleshy types of plants.

I just a minute ago talked to my mother who wages a battle with the pill
every year.  She listed specifically several other plants that she has had
problems with pill bugs eating up.  I told her about the cornmeal boric acid
remedy and she thinks that she might try it around plants or under things so
that the birds or the dog cannot get to it.  I think that I might try it too
as it seems the simplest of all the solutions and the least harmful to the

I don't know a great deal about pill bugs but I know that they come in
several sizes and some are a little larger or flatter than others.  I have
never heard of a bird that eats them, I would like to know that so I can
the word on to my mother before she tries this boric acid mixture because
would not want to harm the birds.  I guess we are more involved with growing
and providing food for the soul as much as food for the table.

It is very good to get a range of opinions on this subject and looking
forward to hearing from an ........would an entomologist know about pill
as they are not insects?  Another good question.  N.