Cold frame

When is the right time to put the glas over cold frames?

I live far north and have a shorter and colder growing season than most
people here I would think. So to help my seedling plants I was thinking of
having them in cold frames for a while this spring. I have never grown
anything in cold frames before and would appreciate any good advices from

This is what I have done so far:
Last autumn I was doing two things: I was sowing some seeds in big boxes
(frames) and I was setting my year 2000 seedlings to survive in pots in the
same kind of boxes. I covered these in the coldest part of winter.

Now I want them to start growing. And I wonder if it is too early to put on
the glas?    If the plants start growing and it come frost again will that
damage them or just those first leaves? How much frost will they be able to

Will it be right to have the glad over the frames atthe same time both for
the seedling and the seeds? Or should I wiat with the seedframes?

Should I do some ferilizing of the seedling frames now?

We have had a nice, but though the coldest winter for 85 years here, and
even March is cold - night after night with minus 5 Celsius is rahter cold
here - and daymax only pluss 5 or so - no snow - frost in ground - it is in
fact very very nice weather here now in a way - but some too cold! I am not
sure if it will continue like this also in April ... I hope not.  We need
some rain.

Arnhild - Hardanger in Norway