RE: Pill bugs/sow bugs

At 07:59 PM 3/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Phylum, Arthropoda; Class, Malacostraca; Order, Isopoda
>
>So, are Arthropoda bugs??  (Looked like that's what they were.)
>
>Diann

If I remember correctly:

Phylum: Arthropoda (from the Latin 'jointed legs')

Class: Insecta
Order: Hemiptera

"True bugs" are Hemiptera, like Paul said. Best way to distinguish them
from beetles (see below) is their triangular thorax.

Class: Insecta
Order: Coleoptera - "Beetles"
Not bugs.. They are distinguished by having a forewing (or elytra) that is
thickened and hard and covers the membranous wings that they use to fly.
Most of our common garden goodies and baddies are beetles.

Class: Crustacea
Order Isopoda - Isopods, pillbugs, roly-pollies. Like Narda says, several
species, some flat, some rounded. Some roll up into a circle, some cannot.
They are primarily detritus (dead materials) eaters, but will quite happily
eat strawberries, tomatoes, hosta leaves. In the laboratory we use to feed
them raw potato slices and lettuce.

Class: Diplopoda -  millipedes
Millipedes are decomposers (eat dead leaves and rotting wood, depending on
which species you are talking about.

Class Chilopoda - Centipedes
Centipedes are predators.

"Ptera" - by the way, means "wing" as in Pterodactyl...

Gerry