Re: Aeolian (Wind) Harp Reproductions

I am going to try not getting to "deep" on this. Aeolian is the 1st of 7 modes in music. A mode is kind of like a musical flavor. Aeolian is a "major" mode, so it has a happier flavor. The makers of theses chimes and harps are using all or select notes of a key (such as the key of C) in an Aeolian mode to bring out the said flavor.

Understand? Probably not, huh. Most music is written in the Major or Aeolian mode. It a fancy word for the most commonly occuring use of musical keys. Many, if not most musicians don't even know they are using it!!

Cindy Johnson wrote:

Hi folks, A while back I was looking at wind chimes from Wind & Weather and saw a pic of their Aeolian Wind Chime Mobile.http://www.windandweather.com/cgi-bin/wind/dyna/dynak96558Since the only other time I heard/read the word Aeolian, I was curious and did a search on it and found this site http://www.harpmaker.net/windharp.htmwhere you can actually hear what it sounds like as the wind blows through it.  The windchime at the 1st site looks nothing like these "harps" though, so I wonder how it can sound like one...or is there another definition of aeolian?  Does anyone have either of these?What do you think of them?  The harp is kind of eerie sounding and could really add some kind of "mood" to a part of the garden, I think. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas on this,Cindy JohnsonWhite Bear Lake, MNzone 4a