Re: Allright You Chanuks!!!!

Got down to 20 degrees here last night, tied the record.  About half of our
plants were up, and of those, about half were still tight and half had leaves
open.  We put most of the open plants back in hoop houses, recovered everything
else with microfoam and plastic.

Everything looked frozen this morning, but by mid-day, most of the plants in the
hoop houses had perked back up.  Most look like they'll be fine, some that were
way open will look pretty bad until they grow new leaves but I think they'll
recover.  I didn't take the microfoam off because it's going to be cold again
tonight, but I peeked under it in several places, and the plants actually looked
like they held up better under the foam than in the houses.  We figure the hoop
houses probably give us 5-6 degrees protection, which would have been enough if
the forecast had been close, but they were off by 6 degrees. I should have put
some small heaters in them, but I didn't think it could get that cold.

Sometimes I wish I had everything in heated greenhouses.  We heat our perennial
houses, but I can't immagine what it would cost to heat all these hostas.
Tonight is not supposed to be as cold, but then last night wasn't supposed to be
that cold either.