Re: Southern Freeze

(From Gerry, a woMan to Lu, another woMan)

I try to have pretty much the same philosophy..what's in the ground is on
its own. But I still can't resist covering some things I know will fry.

I also have the same attitude about pest control..if something has to be
sprayed constantly to keep it alive, then to hell with it. So I no longer
grow peaches (which got brown rot even when I did spray on a regular
schedule) or roses (ditto black spot). I hand pick Japanese beetles and
potato beetles and colorado potato beetles and smush they little haids,
much more satisfying than spraying with Sevin (sorry, Clyde!). I do the
same with slugs (though I'm trying Sluggo this year) and have learned to
tolerate a few shredded leaves. Again, I have given up on the thin leaved,
tiny varieties that the slugs wipe out in a single night.

Mind you, I'm not being judgemental here..If I were making a living growing
hosta, or peaches, or beans, I'd spray where necessary (though I think
spraying can be done judiciously and with minimal damage to other critters,
including beneficials). But gardening is my hobby, not my livelihood, so I
have the luxury of being politically correct.

Gerry (50 today, 40 tonight, and rain tomorrow - does it get any better
than that? Yippee!)